Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Result

Alas, the Zombies season has come to an end. But what a way to go! After a back-and-forth game where the lead changed several times, the final score was 3-3. Since this was a semifinal game, that meant overtime. The first OT was four-on-four, and when no one scored, there was a second OT that was three-on-three. And still, no score! So on they went to a shootout, the first one we've seen at the youth level. It looked like it would be a quick affair as the other team scored on their first shot, but then our final shooter (of the group of 3) tied it up. Both goalies then went on to shutout the ENTIRE rest of the lineup (11 more kids on each side) and restart it from the top. The kid who scored in the first round repeated with a second goal, and when our first shooter was unable to match it, the other team emerged victorious.

So we lost, but it was probably the most exciting and nerve-wracking game of hockey I've seen in my life, NHL included. There was even a bit of controversy! The other team played their two best players back-to-back at center for the entire game. Prior to the playoffs, the coaches were specifically told by the convenor that they couldn't double shift or shorten their bench so this gave the team a considerable advantage. I actually intend to email her so she can keep an eye out for it tomorrow in the finals. Hate to see a team win it all by circumventing the rules.

But other than that it was a great game. The parents on the other team are probably the only team that is as loud, if not louder, than our parents so suffice to say it was a noisy affair. By the time the shootout started, I was wondering if my heart could take the excitement. I was literally shaking, and I'm quite sure I have a few more gray hairs.

I did take a bunch of photos, which I will post as soon as I can, but I'll admit they probably aren't that great. I was too focused on the game to pay much attention to the camera. Still, keep an eye out for those.

Oh, lest I forget, Lucas had a pretty good game. Not his best, but he didn't make any mistakes that resulted in a goal. I was happy to see that he was one of the 2 starting defensemen on the 4 on 4 period and the only defenseman at the start of the 3 on 3 period. It's good to know the coaches have that much confidence in him.

Lucas's team has their end-of-the-year party next Saturday, and then a couple hours after that, Lucas has his first game of 4-on-4 hockey, which is something he'll be doing until the summer. So the hockey never stops! :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

OMG. That's sounded like a heart pounding game. I couldn't have handled it. I would have been a nervous wreck. Too bad the other team didn't play by the "good sportsman" rule. That's how Jacks team lost their basketball game too.